[vtkusers] formula for quadratic Non-linear cell types?

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 25 18:27:10 EDT 2010

Hi Jeonggyu,

> Some of non-linear cell types are not clear to me. Certainly, it
> should interpolate all control points however when I looked at
> wireframe rendering it seems like they are just subdivided(without
> any further alternation).

You may use the vtkTessellatorFilter to subdivide further.

> ... So I'd like to know where I can find the formula for Quadratic
> Interpolation that VTK used. Can I use any interpolation function
> that will pass through control points? If so, how many in-betweening
> points do I put for each edge(perhaps 1)?

If you obtain a vtkGenericCell pointer (or the proper vtkCell subclass
such as vtkQuadraticHexahedron) representing a cell in the mesh, you
may call its EvaluateLocation method with parametric coordinates to
obtain field values interpolated nonlinearly. The files implementing
subclasses of vtkNonLinearCell contain the interpolation functions
used for the elements. In general, you may not use any function that
interpolates the control points since multiple parameterizations of
elements are possible.

	David