[vtkusers] [Paraview] paraview won't read plot3D files

da remywendy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:54:51 EDT 2010

Hi Rick,

Got the email. I can't open your binary files either. I'm going to guess
that this is a precision issue - have you tried writing the files into
single precision binary and trying again with Paraview? This won't matter
for ASCII cases but makes the difference for Binary. The plot3d reader
currently works only with single-precision.

Paraview does not support function files. You will need to modify the
vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader (or write your own) + paraview plugin for that.

Da

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Rick Burnes <rick.burnes at mchsi.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Yes, I have also generated an ASCII plot3D file, which I can get paraview
>> to read.  However, paraview does not correctly interpret the grid file.  The
>> geometry I create with my simple Fortran code is a cube.  Paraview
>> successfully reads both the ASCII grid and data files, but when I view it in
>> paraview the geometry is incorrect.  Tecplot does not have this problem with
>> the same grid and data files.  I am interested in any suggestions on the
>> right combination of options to choose when reading this plot3D file into
>> paraview, but I have not been able to find the correct combination of
>> options to read a plot3D binary grid and data file.  In addition, since
>> paraview does not display the correct geometry when I have it read an ASCII
>> version of the same grid and data plot3D files I believe there is more to
>> this than just choosing the right options.
>>
>> There are a number of different plot3D formats and I have tried reading a
>> number of these into paraview, all with the same results.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Rick
>>

>> On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:26 PM, da wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried generating an ascii file from Fortran and looking at it? I
>> don't believe there should be a difference whether its generated from
>> Fortran or C/C++ code.
>>
>> Tecplot's reader automatically detects the options of the plot3d file -
>> while Paraview does not: its most likely the case that an option is set
>> incorrectly.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Rick Burnes <rick.burnes at mchsi.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Paraview appears to have a limited ability certain plot3D files that were
>>> likely generated from C/C++ code, but is unable to read plot3D files
>>> generated from Fortran code.  When I open a Fortran generated plot3D file I
>>> select "plot3D" as the file type and then select the following three
>>> tried various combinations of these options without success.  I wrote a
>>> short and simple Fortran program to generate a small test plot3D grid file
>>> and data file, which I can successfully read with tecplot, but is not
>>> readable in paraview 3.6.1.  Has anyone had success reading Fortran
>>> generated plot3D files with a recent version of paraview and if so, what
>>> plot3D format was used and what paraview file options were selected?
>>>
>>> This is for paraview 3.6.1 on a mac running leopard.  However, I run into
>>> the same problem on the windows version of paraview as well.
>>>
>>> Here is the error message I receive:
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> /Users/kitware/ParaViewReleases/ParaView-3.6/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader.cxx,
>>> line 783
>>> vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader (0x223c4620): Error reading geometry file.
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> /Users/kitware/ParaViewReleases/ParaView-3.6/ParaView3/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx,
>>> line 757
>>> vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x223c4590): Algorithm
>>> vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader(0x223c4620) returned failure for request:
>>> vtkInformation (0x2245e940)
>>>  Debug: Off
>>>  Modified Time: 79689
>>>  Reference Count: 1
>>>  Registered Events: (none)
>>>  Request: REQUEST_DATA
>>>  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
>>>  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
>>>  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
>>>
>>> Also, are there any plans to improve paraview's ability to read plot3D
>>> files?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Rick