[vtkusers] VTK and Java Wrappers

egk865 at yahoo.com egk865 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 15:06:41 EST 2010

Back in December, there was a discussion on this list about improving vtk's Java binding to better handle the freeing of vtk resources during garbage collection. Some of the ideas mentioned were global locks or adding a cmake option for disabling deletion of vtk objects during garbage collection and require the user to manually call Delete().

With the recent announcement of the upcoming 5.6 branch, I was wondering if any final decisions have been made on this issue. Will there be any changes to the Java wrappers in the next release?

I've experienced some of the crashes previously described and having already invested heavily in the Java wrappers for a moderately sized project (already close to 10000 lines of code) before becoming aware of these issues, I'm really hoping the Java wrappers have a bright
 future.

Thanks,
Eli