[vtkusers] vtkContourFilter not working on vtkStructuredGrid

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 08:56:03 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Sebastian Gatzka <
sebastian.gatzka at stud.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>  Hello.
>
> I really can't tell why my code is not gernerating the iso-surface.
> I have a structured grid (sGrid) filled with scalars.
>
> I call the contour filter
>
>             vtkContourFilter *scalarIsoSurface = vtkContourFilter::New();
>             scalarIsoSurface->SetInput(sGrid);
>             scalarIsoSurface->GenerateValues(0,0.1);
>
> Compute the normal
>
>             vtkPolyDataNormals *sGridPolyDataNormal =
> vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
>             sGridPolyDataNormal->SetInput(scalarIsoSurface->GetOutput());
>
> Put them into a poly data mapper
>
>             vtkPolyDataMapper *scalarIsoSurfaceMapper =
> vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
>
> scalarIsoSurfaceMapper->SetInput(sGridPolyDataNormal->GetOutput());
>
> and into an actor
>
>             vtkActor *scalarIsoSurfaceActor = vtkActor::New();
>             scalarIsoSurfaceActor->SetMapper(scalarIsoSurfaceMapper);
>
> which is passed on to the scene
>
>             ren1->AddActor(scalarIsoSurfaceActor);
>
> and NOTHING happens.
>
> Any ideas what I have missed, or whats wrong?
>
> Sebastian

You probably have a call to Render() after the code you sent us, which I
believe updates the whole pipeline. Whenever I have something that is
totally empty, I go back and put an Update() call on every object that is
updatable.

scalarIsoSurface->GenerateValues(0,0.1);
scalarIsoSurface->Update();

before I dig too deep.

If that doesn't change anything, try to create a demo involving some simple
data (using a vtk*Source if you can, so we can reproduce it without needing
your dataset). Then send us the smallest compilable code that demonstrates
the problem.

Thanks,

David