[vtkusers] How can I apply this please

Jérôme jerome.velut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:46:29 EDT 2010

Ali,

First of all, I really cannot understand how you "tried hard to apply the
cutting tool" without writing codes. Are you using thirdparty softwares that
harness the VTK filters?

But now, maybe I understood something: you want to simulate a surgical
bone ablation and the corresponding soft tissue deformation. I think that it
is not an easy task and that you will have to write your mesh filter.

However, this pipeline should give you a starting line.
1) if you want to cut the mesh, you have been already told that vtkCutter
should do the trick. What is wrong with that?

2) "Reconnecting" may be solved by translating (vtkTransformFilter) the
"toothed-"part of the cutted jaw toward the "cheek-"part. You will have to
care about the cutting planes orientation.
Then, you can merge closed points with vtkCleanFilter. After that, you will
have a rough new mesh representing the jaw as you want

3) Passing the deformation to the skin deserves a deep reflexion. How much
do you want to be close to real elasticity of the soft tissues? How/Where the
jaw (bone) is 'connected' to the skin? How are your soft tissue represented ?
Take a look at the warp filters from VTK, it could give you some idea for the
deformation

Hope that helps
Jerome