[vtkusers] vtk memory issue, support needed

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 11:29:49 EDT 2010

You are correct.  When viewing only axial slices of an axial dataset,
VTK should stream the images slice-by-slice. It's important that you
never call Update() on an image in your own code with setting the
UpdateExtent first, since Update() will update the WholeExtent by
default in the UpdateExtent is not set.

Regarding the viewer, I looked through vtkImageViewer2.cxx and saw
this code at line 478:

      if (event == vtkCommand::ResetWindowLevelEvent)
        {
        this->IV->GetInput()->UpdateInformation();
        this->IV->GetInput()->SetUpdateExtent
          (this->IV->GetInput()->GetWholeExtent());
        this->IV->GetInput()->Update();
        double *range = this->IV->GetInput()->GetScalarRange();
        this->IV->SetColorWindow(range[1] - range[0]);
        this->IV->SetColorLevel(0.5 * (range[1] + range[0]));
        this->IV->Render();
        return;
        }

I suspect that this code is the problem.  This is one of the reasons
that I never use vtkImageViewer and always use a raw vtkImageActor
instead.  The ImageViewer has a lot of "convenience" features that
people have added to make their lives easier, and these convenience
features often have unexpected side effects.

  David