[vtkusers] vtk memory issue, support needed

Raúl Ferriz raul at torresyvalero.com
Thu Jul 29 10:37:14 EDT 2010

[I attach a private email, sorry for not sending directly to the list]

I have been done some tests. Having only one vtkImageViewer2 on Axial
axis (XY the default) when I call vtkImageViewer2->Render() viewet
request all data to vtkGDCMImageReader and thows Out of mem exception
(vtkIntArray (0BA636B8): Unable to allocate 154157056 elements of size 4
bytes). As far as I can understand your explanation, this should not
happen. Each slice is 776x776 pixels, and I have 256 slices ... If I do
776x776x256 ... yeah 154157056 !! So, vtkImageViewer2 calls Update() /
UpdateWholeExtent() / or another command or function that request all
data, is this a bug?. On gdcm list Mathieu Malaterre says that
vtkGDCMImageReader implements RequestUpdateExtent, so if vtkImageViewer2
only request required slice, that should not break out. Or I miss something?

I am doing all this test to try understand how internally vtk works and
try to develop that vtkImageCache class, but I must admit that is very
difficult to me  understand where to start! :(