[vtkusers] VTK binaries for Windows

Barth, Sebastian sebastian.barth at iosb.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jul 27 03:42:52 EDT 2010

Hello Caitlin,

I use Qt with the QVTKWidget and qmake for Visual Studio 9.

I did not found any better way than using the cmake-gui application to create a VisualStudio Project for VTK, compile it with VS in "RelWithDebInfo"  and then install it (cmake creates an INSTALL project). After this, I set up two environment variables  (see CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX):
VTK_LIB_DIR                     -> "C:\Program files\VTK\lib\vtk-5.6\"
VTK_INCLUDE_DIR         -> "C:\Program files\VTK\lib\vtk-5.6\"

My own project uses a qmake pro file which includes these two environment variables.

This way separates the VTK project from my own project. So I am independent from any changes of the cmake project of VTK.

There is of course an easier way, but not without cmake. VTK is a cmake project and there are several things set by cmake to make it a single project for different operating systems.

Correct me if I am wrong.
I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Sebastian Barth