[vtkusers] VTK Compile Error with Clang.

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Jul 26 16:26:31 EDT 2010

There is an experimental VTK build using the Clang compiler for OS X
at <http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=675261>.
There is a compiler error early on in the vtkTypedArray code:

In file included from /.../VTK/Common/vtkArray.cxx:23:
In file included from /.../VTK/Common/vtkDenseArray.h:48:
In file included from /.../VTK/Common/vtkTypedArray.h:113:
/.../VTK/Common/vtkTypedArray.txx:28:27: error: no member named
'Superclass' in 'vtkTypedArray<T>'
this->vtkTypedArray<T>::Superclass::PrintSelf(os, indent);
       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
In file included from /.../VTK/Common/vtkArray.cxx:23: In file
included from /.../VTK/Common/vtkDenseArray.h:203:
shouldn't that be:
vtkTypedArray<T>::Superclass::PrintSelf(os, indent); because we are
really wanting to call the superclass implementation? putting the
"this->" does imply there is an actual member variable named
"vtkTypedArray<T>" declared in that class?
  or I could be absolutely flat wrong and there is a bug in Clang.
Either way, the issue might be able to be fixed. Just trying to get
VTK ready for the upcoming Xcode 4 where llvm 2.0 may be the primary
compiler.
Thanks for any comments.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio