[vtkusers] Best 3D rendering technique for a point cloud?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 12:46:26 EDT 2010

Hi Jason,

If the 3D Delaunay triangulation works on your dataset, then you are
already halfway to a solution.  The next step is to use vtkProbeFilter
to resample the data onto a regular 3D grid.  Then you can do volume
rendering.  The sequence should be as follows:

1) If your point cloud is solid then vtkDelaunay3D should be able to
produce a vtkUnstructuredGrid from it that is made from tetrahedrons

2) Set the output of Delaunay3D as the input of vtkProbeFilter.  Use
probe->SetSourceConnection() to specify a vtkImageData grid that is a
reasonable size and spacing for doing the volume rendering.  If you
look around, you should be able to find good examples of how to do
this.

3) Cast the output of vtkProbeFilter to UnsignedChar or UnsignedShort
(if it isn't already) and then do a volume rendering of it.

There are also some VTK volume renders that can render a
vtkUnstructuredGrid directly, but for performance reasons you are much
better off to convert your data into a vtkImageData before rendering
it.  Note that I have never tried what I am suggesting in this email,
but I have confidence that it will work.

   David