[vtkusers] PolyDataMapper -> SetScalarRange does not display certain colours

Jason T. jasontang65 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:06:05 EDT 2010

I have some polydata with scalars mapped to it pulled from a file. naturally,
i set the scalar range to the actual range of the scalar set from the file,
stored in m_DoseRangeSagittal.

  vtkPolyDataMapper* mapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();

  m_DoseActorSagittal = vtkActor::New();
  m_DoseActorSagittal->GetProperty()->SetOpacity(0.0);

  m_LUT->SetNumberOfTableValues(1024);
  m_LUT->SetHueRange(0.667,0.0);
  m_LUT->SetAlphaRange(0.0,1.0);
  m_LUT->Build();

  mapper->SetInput(SagittalDose);
  mapper->SetLookupTable(m_LUT);
  mapper->SetScalarRange(m_DoseRangeSagittal);
  mapper->Update();

  m_DoseActorSagittal->SetMapper(mapper);

However, anything that has a trace of blue becomes transparent (I want 100%
blue to be transparent, but cyan to be opaque for example). Playing around
with the scalar range, I find that any colors with blue in it only show if I
set the scalar range max to a very low number.

How do I fix this problem?