[vtkusers] Memory problem

Raúl Ferriz raul at torresyvalero.com
Thu Jul 15 06:40:48 EDT 2010

Hi all!

I have some memory problems with VTK. I'm trying to load very big DICOM
series through gdcm and show Axial, Sagittal and Coronal images. Also I
render a 3d visualization of the dicom. All work good until I try to
load a very big DICOM, I have 2 Gb of ram, and another machine with 1,5
Gb of ram. I have one dicom that load perfectly on first machine, but
fails with an "Unable to allocate xxxx of 8 bytes" (sorry I don't
remember the number, but this is not really very important). On the
other machine this dicom works good, but when I unload and reload some
other dicoms, evetually it fails with same error. I had concluded that
on first machine fails after some memory fragmentation, because I'm sure
that all not needed memory is freed. But on second machine (1.5Gb) there
is not enough memory to allocate that Dicom fully on memory.

Is there a way to avoid this problem? Can streaming be the solution?