[vtkusers] VTK 5.6 on OS X 10.6 with Python and X11

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 13:38:32 EDT 2010

Hi Rafael,

You are going to have a hard time getting this to work with the system
Python and system Tcl on any version of OS X.

On 10.5, system Tk is built with Carbon, and on 10.6, system Tk is
built with Cocoa.  In both cases, the system Python uses a _tkinter.so
that is linked to the system Tk.

This means that you cannot use the system Python with an X11 version
of ttk.  If you want to do any X11/Tk work, then you should either
build your own python and tcl, taking care to configure them both to
use X11, or you should look around for Fink or MacPorts packages for
python/tcl/ttk that are built with X11.

   David