[vtkusers] VTK 5.6 on OS X 10.6 with Python and X11

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Jul 9 13:27:35 EDT 2010

Hey Rafael,

Okay, I had never tried it before, but I think I was able to get the Python wrapping to work with X11 on OS X. (I also tried to get the Tcl wrapping to work, but that would crash with a Segmentation fault any time I tried to run something with interactors -- not sure why.) I've never used ttk, but my guess would be that you don't need to build VTK with the Tcl wrappers, only Python...

I ran ccmake from a fresh build directory and set the options through that (leaving all others as they come up by default):

ccmake ..
BUILD_TESTING: OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS: ON
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE: Release
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES: x86_64
VTK_USE_COCOA: OFF
VTK_USE_X: ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON: ON
(Then it comes up with an error about not being able to find "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/GL/glx.h", but CMake/vtkTestGLX.cmake says it's using OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR, which was set by default to /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework. So, I changed the OPENGL stuff to:)
OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR: /usr/X11R6/include
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.dylib
make -k -j7 (adjust the -j# for your number of cores...)

I get a bunch of
/usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h:1402:1: warning: "GL_GLEXT_LEGACY" redefined
during the build, but it finishes okay.

sudo make install (may not need to do this)
cd Wrapping/Python
sudo python setup.py install

I'll attach a screen shot of running [vtk_src]/Examples/Tutorial/Step6/Python/Cone6.py

I just used the Tcl wrapping this morning with Cocoa, so I know that works fine, and I use the Python wrappers all the time with Cocoa, but there's something not right in my build with my Tcl/X11 combo... Also, background gradients (like are common with the Infovis stuff) are screwed up with my Python/X11, but they don't crash or anything.

I'm using OS X 10.6.4, system Python 2.6, system Tcl/Tk 8.5.7, VTK git head from June 30, CMake 2.9.20100113

Hope this helps,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group