[vtkusers] Python compass widget example

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:36:48 EST 2010

> It's really up to the Ubuntu package maintainers. As far as I am aware we
> have no influence over them.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libvtk5-dev
> It looks like the up coming Lucid Lynx version will still have 5.2.

looking in Synaptic Package Manager I find the following vtk-related packages:
vtkdata 5.2.1-1
vtk-examples 5.2.1
python-vtk 5.2.1
libvtk5.2 5.2.1
vtk-doc 5.2.1

Are there updated .deb packages for VTK 5.4.2 which would install
easily on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 somewhere?

Or do I need to build from source? The Readme in the source tar.gz has
instructions for compiling, but how are the binaries and libraries
installed in the correct place?

AW