[vtkusers] Python compass widget example

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:33:24 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com> wrote:
> It's really up to the Ubuntu package maintainers. As far as I am aware we
> have no influence over them.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libvtk5-dev
> It looks like the up coming Lucid Lynx version will still have 5.2.
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Anders Wallin <anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 9.10 and the VTK version it installs by default is VTK
>> 5.2.1
>>
>> I am getting the exact same error with vtkFrustumSource:
>> frustumSource = vtk.vtkFrustumSource()
>> gives an error:
>> "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'vtkFrustumSource'"
>>
>> is vtkFrustumSource also something introduced between VTK 5.2.1 and 5.4 ?
>>
>> Does anyone know when a VTK 5.4 or 5.5 package is going to be
>> available through the automatic update on Ubuntu 9.10 ?
>>

>> AW
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I think the GeoVis package which contains vtkCOmpassRepresentation was
>> > added to vtk in version 5.4.
>> >
>> > If you are using vtk5.4, then
>> > When you configure vtk you must set
>> >
>> > VTK_USE_GEOVIS:BOOL=ON
>> >
>> > I believe it is ON by default.
>> >
>> > Bill

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

In the c++ examples, one of the ideas of the CMakeLists.txt section is
to attempt to catch this type of "you didn't compile VTK with the
right options" problem. Since there is nothing similar for Python, I
added a "Build Requirements" section:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Python/vtkCompassWidget

Maybe we also need to have a "minimum VTK version" section in all (c++
and python) examples to catch this sort of thing?

Thanks,

David