[vtkusers] opengl precision problem

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Jan 22 20:05:33 EST 2010

Hello,

Yes this is an OpenGL floating-point precision issue.

Here a good discussion about the problem:
http://blogs.agi.com/insight3d/index.php/2008/09/03/precisions-precisions/#more-80

There is no good trivial solution for this.

Maybe you can try to apply a transform that will translate your
dataset back to the origin and scale it.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Clinton Stimpson <clinton at elemtech.com> wrote:
> I have what appears to be a precision problem in opengl.
> If I open Paraview and create a plane source, then apply a transform filter on
> it and translate it by 1e6, I get these problems.
> It jitters badly when I rotate it, and it has a dark coloring on it, and then
> if I zoom in a bit then rotate, parts of the plane appear & disappear.
>
> I have this same problem in my app when loading some data files that are far
> from the origin.
>
> Any suggestions on how to work around this?  Is it possible that a solution
> can be done within VTK itself by considering the bounding box of the entire
> model?
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive