[vtkusers] Help on VTK's Performance: Volume Rendering + Polygonal Object Moving

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:04:00 EST 2010

Hi Fauze,

Please don't cross-post to the vtk-developers list, since that list is
only for developer issues.

Mixing polygonal objects with software ray-cast volume rendering is an
expensive process, it involves reading a partially rendered scene from
the video card back to main memory and re-doing the volume rendering
using the information in the depth buffer.  Every time the object
moves, the ray-cast has to be redone.

If you need fast volume rendering intermixed with polydata, you should
use vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D or vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D.  These
volume mappers do all of the polydata/volume intermixing right on the
graphics cards.

What I often do is use a vtkLODProp3D so that I can use the texture
volume rendering when I'm dragging things, but have it automatically
switch to ray-casting when I stop dragging the mouse.

  David