[vtkusers] Set plane normal/center of vtkImplicitPlaneWidget manually

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:13:42 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM, superzz <jxdw_zlf at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Hello
> How to set plane of vtkImagePlaneWidget manually? I tried
> vtkImagePlaneWidget->GetPlane(), then update plane center and normal to
> specified values. But the plane on screen kept unchanged.
>
> Thanks
>
> superZZ

You can change the origin like this:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Widgets/ImagePlaneWidget

But VTK never has a "SetNormal" function for this type of this (which has
always annoyed me). There are SetPoint1 and SetPoint2 functions to set two
of the other corners of the planar patch. I believe this is because they
want to allow non-rectangular patches - but it seems to me that there should
definitely be a way to convert from an origin+normal (surely the form
everyone thinks in) to an origin+p1+p2.

Hope this helps.

David