[vtkusers] Python Bindings & GIL (Blocking issues)

Christopher Denter dennda at the-space-station.com
Wed Jan 20 19:26:12 EST 2010

Hello.

In my application I want to load a large dataset in a different thread to keep the UI responsive. However, as soon as the VTK code is executed, only that one thread runs and my UI freezes for the duration of the loading operation. Do the VTK bindings block the python interpreter?
VTK_NO_PYTHON_THREADS is disabled. I'm running Python 2.6.4 on OSX 10.6.

(To be precise, all the thread does currently - for testing reasons - is create a vtkDICOMImageReader and read a dataset. If I replace all VTK related stuff with a simple time.sleep(10), the UI remains responsive, hence my conclusion.)

Thanks,
	Christopher