[vtkusers] User freehand drawing of a RIO on multiple CT slices

Fri Jan 8 14:49:35 EST 2010

I have done what you're trying.  You can download the project here:

http://www.nitrc.org/projects/brainstracer/

What I did was based on the particular requirements of our users for
brains tracing. This involves:
1. Multiple contours per slice.
2. Creating, Saving, and Editing multiple contour collections.
3. 3D surface generation from 2D contours on multiple image slices.

The primary issue I had with using the vtkContourWidget was that it
only really understands 2D tracing. When dealing with tracing in 3D
volumes, I had to manage removing traces from the current slice and
then display traces from the new slice.

The way I managed this is to have a pool of vtkContour widgets, and
when the image slice changes, for each contour, I set the points for
the contour widget.  If the new slice has more contours on it than I
have instantiated, I create new ones. I also maintain 3 orthogonal
views plus a 3D view of the image volume, and the contours are
rendered in all three views. When you add, delete, or move a control
point this is updated in all views.

If it's just the event bindings that annoy you, you can call
vtkContourWidget::GetEventTranslator(), and then change the event
bindings.