[vtkusers] Cells and Points in a Structured Grid Volume

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 26 16:53:02 EST 2010

Hello!

I am studying the Threshold Filter to dive more into the mechanics of
filtering and I just want to make sure I got the meaning of points and
cells right, especially when I have a structured grid volume as input.

Such input comes with some typical raw volume file which consists of,
lets say, 512x512x128 voxels all of them having some value.

Is it that this value is actually stored in a vtkPoints list that
contains uniformly distributed points in the volume? And a vtkCell in
this case gets the same value as the point because it contains only this
single point in its center? ( with value I mean what you get from
GetComponent(id,c) )

So if I had some arbitrary (non-structured) input, a cell's value would
be the average of all points lying inside the cell and changing the cell
layout, i.e. making all cells bigger would accordingly change the
cell-point relationship and thus the cells value?

Best regards,
Christian