[vtkusers] VTK and Python installation on Windows XP 32 bit

Sorrel shnh500 at ohm.york.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 15:02:11 EST 2010

Hi,
I've been trying to install VTK with Python in Windows.
My VTK build in cmake seemed to work ok. I got:

Found PythonLibs: C:/Python27/libs/python27.lib
Configuring done
Generating done

(It did say in the variable list VTK_DATA_ROOT - NOTFOUND - does that matter?)

Anyway, I added the vtk.pth file to Python's use-packages folder:

C:\Program Files\VTK\Wrapping\Python
C:\Program Files\VTK\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk
C:\Program Files\VTK\bin\Release

(as they are in my build folder, also tried

C:\Progra~1\VTK\Wrapping\Python
C:\Progra~1\VTK\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk
C:\Progra~1\VTK\bin\Release

)

But I still can't import the vtk module in Python and get the error:

from vtkpython import *
ImportError: No module named vtkpython

I don't know what I've done wrong! Can anyone make any suggestions please?
Thanks!