[vtkusers] Hounsfield Units of Human body part

Chasan KIOUTSOUKMOUSTAFA chasank at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 09:17:22 EDT 2010

Hi all
 I'm
 trying to get iso surfaces of a human-body parts such as ( bone, liver,
 muscle, skin) from DICOM datasets. For extraction of iso surfaces, I'm
using the MarchingCubes algorithm, and it needs the Hounsfield Unit (HU)
 for extraction. I've found many different HU scales for human body parts. My questions are;
1. In DICOM tags, there is a value called "RescaleIntercept" what exactly it is ?
is it an offset of CT dataset ? and if it is for example -1000, so what is the real HU of water for -1000 value ?

HUofBone = (double)DicomReader->GetRescaleOffset() + 1200.0;
boneExtractor->SetInputConnection(Dicomreader->GetOutputPort());
boneExtractor->SetValue(0, HUofBone);

In the given code, what GetRescaleOffset returns ?

Chasan KIOUTSOUKMOUSTAFA

Chasan KIOUTSOUKMOUSTAFA