[vtkusers] Fwd: ICP Algorythm and parametric surfaces

Elias Breunig elias.breunig at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:09:45 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elias Breunig <elias.breunig at googlemail.com>
Date: 2010/8/23
Subject: Re: [vtkusers] ICP Algorythm and parametric surfaces
To: David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com>

Hi,

I want to provide the surface as equation (like for a paraboloid
e.g.). So sampling it with very high resulution can be a method to
allow a first "coarse" alignment, but in the end i need a fully
contious parametrized surface. I did a first version of my code in
matlab where i calculated the closest point set each iteration from
the parametric surface by normal shooting a initial guess and
consecutive gradient search starting from that point on
paraboloid/ellipsoid surface. This works quite fine but i was
wondering whether i would be able to use some of VTK analysis filters
to keep the whole project more compact and speed it up a little bit no
that I'm using VTK any way (vor the graphics output).

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Elias