[vtkusers] Build VTK from dicom

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 11:06:13 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Richard H Lee <ricardohenrylee at hotmail.com
> wrote:

>  Hi guys,
>
> This question gets probably asked here every week looking at the search
> results on Google.
>
> "How do I turn my dicom scan into a volume?"
>
> I have a DICOMDIR file set of several series.
>
> I've been looking around, but I don't really know what to look for. The
> terminology is quite confusing. Do I want to "render" my image as a volume
> or "register" them?
>
> I tried using Slicer 3D it is pretty complicated. There seems lots of
> settings and methods. Is trying to create a 3D volume something you need
> professional training for? I know there are various stuff you have to take
> into account like patient movement etc. but I was hoping to just to do build
> bog standard basic 3d volume.
>
> Is there a basic tutorial to do this on Slicer? The wiki seems quite
> complicated.
>
> From another thread here I saw that you coud use dicom2 to convert dicom to
> raw vtk. "
> http://www.barre.nom.fr/medical/dicom2/how-to.html#Convert%20to%20raw" But
> it looks as if it operates on single dicom files not series of multiple .dcm
> image files.
>
> Btw I know this is not strictly vtk, I thought someone here would know: A
> lot of programs seem to prefer the single file format for dicom. How can I
> convert a single series of .dcm image files into the single dicom file
> format?
>
> I am completely new to medical imaging, so the obligatory apologies for
> getting things wrong. Also I do come from an IT background, so I can do
> basic coding, but I was hoping I could avoid it if possible.
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but have you seen these
examples?
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/ReadDICOM
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/ReadDICOMSeries

You could write the output to a VTI file using:
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkXMLImageDataWriter.html

<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkXMLImageDataWriter.html>and
then look at the results in ParaView (paraview.org).

If that doesn't work, could you send us a typical data set?

Thanks,

David