[vtkusers] Build VTK from dicom

Richard H Lee ricardohenrylee at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 10:56:39 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

This question gets probably asked here every week looking at the search results on Google.

"How do I turn my dicom scan into a volume?"

I have a DICOMDIR file set of several series.

I've been looking around, but I don't really know what to look for. The terminology is quite confusing. Do I want to "render" my image as a volume or "register" them?

I tried using Slicer 3D it is pretty complicated. There seems lots of settings and methods. Is trying to create a 3D volume something you need professional training for? I know there are various stuff you have to take into account like patient movement etc. but I was hoping to just to do build bog standard basic 3d volume.

Is there a basic tutorial to do this on Slicer? The wiki seems quite complicated.

>From another thread here I saw that you coud use dicom2 to convert dicom to raw vtk. "http://www.barre.nom.fr/medical/dicom2/how-to.html#Convert%20to%20raw" But it looks as if it operates on single dicom files not series of multiple .dcm image files.

Btw I know this is not strictly vtk, I thought someone here would know: A lot of programs seem to prefer the single file format for dicom. How can I convert a single series of .dcm image files into the single dicom file format?

I am completely new to medical imaging, so the obligatory apologies for getting things wrong. Also I do come from an IT background, so I can do basic coding, but I was hoping I could avoid it if possible.

Regards,

Richard