[vtkusers] 2D API with multiple renderers

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Aug 20 09:58:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Has anyone tried using the 2D API with multiple renderers / viewports (like
> in Charts/Testing/Cxx/TestMultipleChartRenderers.cxx), but actually
> including interaction? The way the mouse events are coded in things like
> vtkChartXY, it's based on vtkContextMouseEvent mouse.ScreenPos, which
> doesn't seem to take viewports into account, but just looks at where the
> mouse is in the window. (e.g. If I have chart in the top half of a render
> window, to control selections I have to interact with the bottom half of the
> window, as if the chart was being rendered there.)
>
> This is the post I had intended to reply to. I am aware of this issue, and
when Rob added the support for multiple viewports we discussed how we might
deal with mouse interaction in multiple viewports. I wonder if anyone more
experienced with mouse interaction as it pertains to the multiple viewports
might shed some light on how we should deal with this.

> Since I just started to play with multiple viewports to test some
> possibilities, I was wondering if there are standard ways of dealing with
> the mouse position mapping that I'm not aware of?
>
> It seems like this would have come up in the work on widgets too. I am not
sure, my plan was to place multiple charts in the scene as I know I can make
that work. It requires a few changes to the chart code to set a fixed size,
and then a class to place/resize child objects in the scene.

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.