[vtkusers] Displaying graphs side by side

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:36:43 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> Hey David,
> I think Bertrand is right -- because vtkGraphLayoutView creates its own
> vtkRenderWindow, you're not going to be able to use it for your side-by-side
> layout, and it's not _too_ hard to set up the graph layout and rendering as
> polydata yourself.
> The problem is that if you need not just the rendering of the graph, but all
> of the nice selection and coloring and labeling, etc, that the graph layout
> view hooks up automatically for you, you might need to basically reproduce
> the internals of the vtkGraphLayoutView class without the render window.
> -Eric

Thanks for the quick answers.  Bertrand, I did what you suggested:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Graphs/SideBySideGraphs

It will be a good temporary fix. However, as Eric mentioned, the "nice
layout, labeling, and selection" that happens with the GraphLayoutView
is missing :(

Can any Views experts out there comment on if adding this "side by
side" (or more generally, n x m) layout could be added to some of the
Views?

Thanks,

David