[vtkusers] VtkAppendPolyData errors during execution of Java wrapped vtk functions.

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Thu Aug 12 15:02:15 EDT 2010

All,
I am attempting to use the Java wrappers in jAva 1.6 to make a simple
vtk display based on tabular data from a java application. I built the
java wrappers using Visual Studio 8 Express on a 32 bit Windows XP Pro
machine. My pipeline creates a stick figure positioned by the normalized
values in the tabular data. The stick figure is constructed from a set
of lines which are passed through a vtkTubeFilter, and a
vtkSphereSource. I want to add these two datasets to a mapper and
display the stick figure in a render window.
When two inputs are provided to a vtkAppendPolyData filter using
AppendPolyData.AddInput(pd.GetOutput()); or
AppendPolyData.AddInputConnection(pd.GetOutputPort()); and then using
the output from the append poly data filter to the mapper I get:

ERROR: In ..\..\vtk-5.6.0\Graphics\vtkAppendPolyData.cxx, line 701
vtkAppendPolyData (07BF6D60): Destination not big enough

The interesting artifact is if I add the sphere first then the tubes, I
do not get the error. If I add the tubes, then the sphere, I get the
error above. So I have an example that avoids the vtkOutputWindow with
the error message, my question is does this behavior make sense? and
what can I do to try to be sure I do not get this condition with data
that can have user control of the order of dataset processing?

Thanks,
Jim