[vtkusers] 2D API- Image Drawing

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 4 14:15:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Krishna Katamneni <
krishna.katamneni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> I have several 2D  images with different dimensions, origins and
> resolutions.
> I want to draw them using 2D API (class vtkImageItem) etc and also want the
> images to be drawn in windows screen coordinates.
>
> I'm also confused with parameters for DrawImage method in the 2D API(are
> these screen coordinates or should be in-terms of image dimensions).
> When using this method, all my images are upside down.

These are screen coordinates by default, but they can be transformed.

> .
> For example , my window size is 600x400
>
> and have many 2D images(  details of few examples are given below)
>
> Image  Details
>
>                         Resolution
> Dimensions                          Origin
>
>    1.               0.1 x 0.1 x 1             930   x  700   x
>    1                -78.3 x 0  x 0
>    2.               0.2 x 0.2 x 1             1560 x  750   x
>    1                -78.3 x 0  x 0
>    3.               0.5 x 0.2 x 1             3100 x  1560 x
>    1                -100  x 20 x 0
>    4.               0.1 x 0.2 x 1             360   x  180   x
>    1               -14.3 x 0  x 0
>
> and also would like my image to be to fit to the available window size(I
> can resize my window dynamically).

I have just added some API to scale the images drawn by a scale factor.

> I think we should be able to create 2D Transform that handles all these
> cases in one go, but I'm not sure how to achieve it using vtkTransform2D.

The 2D API has a scene, and you can build up a tree, making a vtkImageItem
the child item of a vtkContextTransform would allow you to them transform
the child items (translation, scale, rotation), see the TestContextScene
code for some examples.

There are still issues with test not being transformed correctly, I am
working on that. Most other stuff should get transformed, and I could likely
give you a few pointers. I am not sure why your images would be upside down,
I did not encounter that in my tests.

> Could anybody help me how to handle these situations?

Hopefully that clears some of this up. It would be good to come up with an
example that could be added to the wiki, and possibly as a new test. I am
pretty busy right now, but will try to give you further pointers if anything
is not clear.

Thanks,

Marcus
--