[vtkusers] raytracing a point cloud to generate perspective projection

Gainey_M at klinik.uni-wuerzburg.de Gainey_M at klinik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Aug 3 09:28:30 EDT 2010

I have just got started with vtk, having tried out other geometry processing software tools. I wish to generate a 2d perspective projection from a 3d point cloud. The points are extracted from a DICOM RT Structure Set and represent anatomical structures comprising a plurality of closed polygons each polygon having a number of points (x,y,z, tuples). I need to determine a projection of the structures on an image plane. More specifically I would like to write a binary mask file at the image plane where a "0" indicates that the bixel is outside the particular structure, and "1" indicates that the bixel is inside the structure.

I need to do this for 5-10 structures generating up to 180 projections (i.e. the camera/scene rotates in 2degree steps). Attached is an unprocessed file (no processing of points e.g. outlier removal/unoriented normal removal) has been performed. Furthermore the determination of the projection should be performed quickly (max 1 minute for all projections of all structures, worst case 1800)), since post processing of the binary masks is required by other software.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.