[vtkusers] the order of symmetric tensor components in vtk

kenichiro yoshimi rccm.kyoshimi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 04:47:52 EDT 2010

Hi all,

When reading EnSight Tensor data by Paraview, the order of symmetric
tensor components is wrong. I think the reason for this is that the
diffrence between both orders of them in an array:
  VTK:      XX, YY, ZZ, XY, YZ, XZ (probably)
  EnSight: XX, YY, ZZ, XY, XZ, YZ.

If my expectation is correct, the functions
   ReadTensorsPerNode and ReadTensorsPerElement
in the sources,
   vtkEnSight6BinaryReader.cxx
   vtkEnSight6Reader.cxx
   vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx
   vtkEnSightGoldReader.cxx
need to be changed to swap the last two components(XZ<-> YZ).

Do you know the order of symmetric tensor components in vtk?

Thanks,
yoshimi