[vtkusers] 3D Volume rendering of SPECT images

simon.u simon.u at tiscali.it
Thu Apr 8 04:25:07 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I need to perform a 3D volume rendering of medical SPECT images in DICOM
multiframe format.
These images have special features which are different from other common
medical images such as MRI, first of all they're just 128x128 sized.
To understand what I'm talking about here's a link of an example of brain
SPECT image:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Datscan.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Datscan.JPG

What I have to do is a 3D rendering of the volume represented by the two
"beans-shaped" central parts (brain striatum). I've already performed an
image processing extracting these two structures slice by slice, obtaining a
new dicom image.

I've tried to perform a ray casting algorithm on it but, even if I set
volume properties, opacity, color transfer function, etc. through the
analysis of the image (such as histogram range) I always get an empty
rendering window.

I tested the same image on the "3D Slicer" software and the rendering was
ok. So I used some of the classes of the Slicer framework (which are
extensions of VTK basic classes, i.e. the vtkFixedPointVolumeRaycastMapper).
But still it doesn't work.

I'm not posting the code because it consists of many classes and it would be
too long. If anyone has any idea on where the problem can be I could post
some pieces of related code.

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
Simon.u