[vtkusers] Drawing objects interactively in VTK..??

Darshan Pai darshanpai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 19:25:02 EDT 2010

replied too fast . The displaytoview() and viewToWorld does not take points
as input.

But you can use the vtkCoordinate . Try this particular snippet of code.

vtkCamera *camera = renderer->GetActiveCamera();
double *n = new double[2];
n = camera->GetClippingRange();

      vtkSmartPointer<vtkCoordinate> coordinate =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkCoordinate>::New();
      coordinate->SetCoordinateSystemToDisplay();
      coordinate->SetValue(x,y);  // display coordinates
      double *pt = new double[3];
      pt = coordinate->GetComputedWorldValue(renderer);
      cout << pt[0] << " " <<pt[1] << " " << pt[2] << endl;
      vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource> sphereSource =
      vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource>::New();
      sphereSource->SetCenter(pt[0],pt[1],pt[2]*-1*n[0]);
      sphereSource->SetRadius(1.0);
      sphereSource->Update();

depth is assumed to be 1 and n[0] is the near clip..