[vtkusers] VTK in Python -how?

Helvin Lui helvinlui at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:40:58 EDT 2009

Hi!
I documented how to install VTK for use with python in my blog, but right
now am wondering if I did so correctly. Is anyone kind enough to check?
There weren't many detailed explanations online about this when I started
and hence my documentation.
http://learnwithhelvin.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-install-vtk-for-use-with-python.html

Another thing is that in my app, I append the path to the VTK Python
bindings. But then I realised in order for my 'import vtk' line to work, my
app's main script needed to be in the directory where vtkpython.exe has been
installed. In my case: C:\Qt\VTKbin7\bin\release. Is there some way that I
could use so that my app can use VTK outside of its bin directory? I tried
adding its bin path to my system variables and also appended it at the top
of my script: sys.path.append("C:\Qt\VTKbin7\bin\release").

Kind Regards,
Helvin Lui
Newbie