[vtkusers] Transparency and VTK File

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Sat Sep 26 08:49:49 EDT 2009

The vtk file formats just store the data, not the rendering properties of
that data.

To store the rendering properties, you want to look at
exporters. Exporter's exist to save off the scene so that it can be
redisplayed (usually by a different software system like POVRay or
RenderMan). Importers do the reverse.

That said, you can store arbitrary information in the data objects's field
data arrays. These arrays will be stored in the vtk file. Later in your
program look for and inspect the contents of those arrays and set the
rendering properties based on them as you see fit. Similarly you could store
an opacity for every cell and/or point, and use that when you make up a
lookup table..

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer