[vtkusers] how to read dicom files with vtkGDCMImageReader

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:12:01 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Mathieu Malaterre <
mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Orlinn
> <MeinDatenLaufwerk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > i would like to read dicom files with vtkGDCMImageReader but did not
> found
> > any examples.
> > With vtkDICOMImageReader i can read with
> >
> >         vtkDICOMImageReader= new vtKDICOMImageReader();
> >         reader.setDirectory("c/dicomfiles/dicomDirectory")
> >         reader.update();
>
> I considered this q bqd design. Instead you have to use to vtk
> objects: vtkDirectory -> GetFilenames -> vtkGDCMImageReader.
>
> In this case you are free to remove/add/manipulate the order of the
> the Filenames before passing to vtkGDCMImageReader.
>
> > vtkGDCMIamgeReader has not such method to set a directory which containts
> > DICOM files.
>
> Make sure to read at least twice the FAQ:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gdcm/index.php?title=Using_GDCM_API#Automatic_ordering_of_slices_for_vtkGDCMImageReader.SetFileNames
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mathieu

There seems to be quite a number of questions about DICOM files on the
examples of reading different types of these files on the wiki along with
example data sets? I think this is a much needed addition to the examples
section but unfortunately I have never worked with this medical data.

Thanks,

David