[vtkusers] How to average different meshes (from surface points)?

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 29 10:32:29 EDT 2009

Hi Lynx,

Most of surface reconstruction methods extrapolate wherever samples are
missing. I assume the "surface flaps" are located in a region where data
are missing?
In this case vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter provides "correct" results
in regions where you have enough samples...

Now the problem is to know whether you want to extrapolate in region
where samples are missing or not. In some case, due to the acquisition
process some data are missing (holes), and you know that in reality
these holes do not exist. Is that your case? Or is this the end of the
surface patch that you want to reconstruct?

In this last case, you need to change the bounds of the meshing part
(marching cubes) to some bounds that naturally fit the region of interest.

I am not sure if I fully understand your problem, but hope it helps...

Arnaud