[vtkusers] integrate hdf5 with vtk

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Oct 27 07:46:41 EDT 2009

I believe the best option is to use XDMF, a lightweight xml based
annotation layer on top of hdf5. The xdmf files serve to describe the
contents of the hdf5 file, which by itself is too generic to be read
by vtk. See www.xdmf.org. There is also some support in xdmf for
in-situ visualization like you describe (via the DSM subsystem), but I
personally have never used it.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer