[vtkusers] How to average different meshes (from surface points)?

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Mon Oct 26 16:44:52 EDT 2009

(http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter.html),
> it is based on the work of Hugues Hoppe 1992. Results are not really
> impressive but that could help.

Thanks for the ideas Arnaud.

I  tried  vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter  and  noticed  while playing with the
parameter SetNeighborhoodSize that the result is not so bad. The only  problem
is  there  are some surface parts drawn that don't fit. These parts (look like
wings) jump and change randomly depending on SetNeighborhoodSize.
So I had the idea to create some kind of average for many  SetNeighborhoodSize
values.  I  wonder  if  that  is  possible  by  just  adding  up the output of
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter.  A  kind  of  h-minimum  filtering  might   be
necessary before finally appling vtkContourFilter. Is this a sensible idea?
Is there some other method implemented in itk/vtk that can average surfaces?
Another way might be to use the points that make up the contour from different
SetNeighborhoodSize values in a vtkGaussianSplatter and avearge those  up  and
do a final contour.
Is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks for any help or hints.
Lynx