[vtkusers] how to 'build' a cylinder?

Paul Harris harris.pc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 05:23:30 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I would like to be able to "build" an odd-shaped, convex, cylinder.  I
imagine that I would first use a series of mouse clicks to define the
perimeter (much like vtkContourWidget, except with straight lines joining
the points), and then be able to change the length of the cylinder.

I'd like to be able to move and change the cylinder's points (again like the
vtkContourWidget).

I'm not really sure how I can do this in the VTK way.

Can someone *please* give me some pointers?  Some sort of starting point
would be great.

The end goal is to allow the user to define one, two, or more "cylinders" in
3d space, and the intersection of the cylinders (via vtkHull, perhaps) would
be a 3d convex polygon that can be captured and used for selecting a 3d
volume/space.

thanks,
Paul