[vtkusers] How to generate a mesh from surface points (original surface not convex)

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:31:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM,  <lynx.abraxas at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> I  have  a  set of unstructured points (not from a grid) that are all known to
> lie  on a closed surface.
> Is there a way to generate a mesh that resembles the original surface?
> I had a look at Delaunay3D but I'm not sure if that's doing what I want  since
> the surface the points originate from is not convex.
> I  think  I  would need some kind of Delaunay3D where the mesh is generated by
> the  triangles  that  are  the  smallest  possible.  Is  that   a   Delaunay3D
> triangulation where the sphere radius is kept at a minimum? Therefore I wonder
> if the offset parameter corresponds to a maximum radius?
> It says in the docs the vtkContourFilter takes any input dataset. So how would
> that create a surface from my unstructured points?
> Is there any other filter I should concider?
>

> Many thanks for any help or hints.
> Lynx

I haven't had any luck doing this in VTK. CGAL is much harder to use,
but it has what you're looking for:
http://www.cgal.org/Manual/last/doc_html/cgal_manual/Surface_reconstruction_points_3/Chapter_main.html

Has anyone implemented anything like point cloud normal
estimation/orientation and then surface fitting that we can add to
VTK?

Thanks,

David