[vtkusers] Labeling classes with which library is necessary to use them

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 21:41:58 EDT 2009

As an example:

I found a class to find the minimum spanning tree on a graph:
vtkBoostPrimMinimumSpanningTree. So I setup a little test case including:
vtkBoostPrimMinimumSpanningTree* MinimumSpanningTree =
vtkBoostPrimMinimumSpanningTree::New();

I got a linker error. It was not at all obvious or quick to figure out that
I needed to link to libvtkInfovis to use this functionality.

Even some of the basic ones that seem ridiculous obvious (i.e. vtkIO for
vtkXMLPolyDataReader) could be quite annoying to figure out for a first time
user. Would it make sense to add a single line to every class's
documentation that explains this? Something like:

Required libraries: vtkIO

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

David