[vtkusers] Interacting with Actor2D?

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:26:04 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
> That example is very misleading.  The vtkCamera and the most
> vtkInteractorStyles do nothing with 2D actors.  The vtkActor2D uses the
> "display" coordinate system, but for displaying data, you almost always want
> to use the "world" coordinate system that vtkActor and vtkCamera use.
>
> So: even with 2D data, you should use vtkActor, not vtkActor2D.  That way
> the vtkCamera can control the view, just set camera->ParallelProjectionOn()
> so that it will display a "flat" projection rather than a perspective
> projection.  Interactor styles like the vtkInteractorStyleRubberBand2D are
> specifically designed for use with 2D data.  But you must use vtkActor for
> your data, don't use vtkActor2D.
>
>     David

Haha - the "misleading-ness" is what I am trying to sort through and remove
with these examples :)

vtkActor2D has to be around for something right? What would one use it for?

If you simply set the camera to parallel projection, you can still rotate
"out of plane" which makes the whole thing not really seem like 2D any more.
That's what I thought this Actor2D was going to - provide a more 2D "feel".
Is there nothing that does this (excluding simply not using the rotate
buttons in the 3d view)?

Thanks,

David