[vtkusers] Multi Touch input in VTK?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:17:41 EDT 2009

VTK will support multi-touch quite easily.  The way that multi-touch works
is that the driver of the multi-touch device translates each multi-touch
"action" into a GUI event that is sent to the application.  So a two-finger
drag becomes a "scroll" event for the application, etc.  At no time does the
application "see" the multiple finger actions, it just sees a single event.

The x11 "synaptics" driver provides support for multi-touch (though it only
supports two-finger scrolling and the various taps for now).  The driver can
map gestures to any of the five buttons and five modifiers or to the
mousewheel.  These "button" events can then be used by the application to
perform rotation, zoom, or what have you.

In summary, support of multi-touch is really a driver issue.  No changes to
VTK are needed at all, it does everything that is needed for multi-touch,
and if e.g. you write a VTK application for the MacBook you can take full
advantage of the multi-touch trackpad.

    David