[vtkusers] MIP Volume Rendering

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Oct 13 09:49:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 13:25 +0000, E.R wrote:
> Many thanks for your response.
>
> I used, as you told me, Mesa classes (as in your code) and the window to image filter!
> I noticed that, its return a vtkImageData with 8bit values, although my images are 16bit!

This is not surprising at all.

The render window renders to 3(RGB), 4(RGBA), or even 5(RGBA and Z)
channels with 8 bits per channel for red, green, and blue, and I think a
32-bit float for the depth buffer.

That's just what it does no matter what the data type being rendered is.

>  How can I avoid this 16bit to 8bit transform? I just want a 16bit vtkImageData, like my originals.

I do not know how to tell the render to use more bits per channel.

I do know that OSMesa can be built to use more bits per channel.