[vtkusers] vtkDataObject meta-data

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Mon Oct 12 11:26:36 EDT 2009

Hello,

I just updated the comment of Set/GetFieldData().

VTK does not use doxygen syntax directly. There is first a pre-processing step.
A method or member comment in VTK start with a line // Description:

This is VTK documentation tag.

A class comment looks like:
// .NAME vtkDataObject - general representation of visualization data
// .SECTION Description
// .SECTION Caveats
// .SECTION Implementation
// .SECTION See Also

I guess the reason is historical. VTK probably did not use doxygen in
the first place as doxygen did not exist at the time VTK started.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Jérôme <jerome.velut at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, by reading the code I found my answer: it seems that FieldData is what
> I need. My new question is now about code documentation:
> The member FieldData in vtkDataObject is commented as " // General field
> data associated with data object  " that was clear enough for my
> understanding.. With Doxygen, a simple "!" in the comment character would
> make appear in the on-line documentation, isn't it? Are you using a modify
> version of Dox that prohibited the use of member comment?
>
> Thx again,
>
> Jerome
>
> 2009/10/12 Jérôme <jerome.velut at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if it exists a member array for vtk data object, that is able to
>> store user data. I use intensively vtkPointData, that stores data for each
>> point, and vtkCellData. For example vtkStreamTracer does use these array to
>> store ReasonForTermination of each streamline, etc.
>>
>> What I would like is something possibely named vtkObjectData to store, for
>> example, parameters of an algorithm that produced an output. I thought about
>> using an empty cell, but I found this idea not very elegant...
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Jerome

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive