[vtkusers] DICOM Images: vtkDicomReader & vtkGdcmReader

Michael Lynch mick.lynch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:30:30 EDT 2009

hey there,

I have a series of DICOM images on my system. I have the names stored in
vtkStringArray. I want to display the images as a volume and have tried two
different methods.

1. I looked into vtkDicomReader. And actually, if I try to open and view a
single dicom then vtkDicomReader works perfectly. However, it was not able
to open a series of images if I passed it the vtkStringArray. I first
checked if the individual DICOM files were readable using CanReadFile...the
results were positive for all files in the string array. Below is the error
I got.

error message:
vtkDICOMImageReader.cxx, line 256
vtkDICOMImageReader (0xd043180): Either a filename was not specified or the
specified directory does not contain any DICOM images.

I thought perhaps vtkDicomReader was not able to open a series of images so
I decided to migrate to vtkGdcmReader (which I heard was more powerful).

2. So I tried to read the file selection using vtkDicomReader. The result
was a little more cryptic though. I get no error message when I build or run
but the volume did not appear as it should. The series of images appear as
just one image, perhaps it's a problem with image spacing? My main problem
is that, even though I compiled GDCM in debug, qtcreator will not run in
debug when I'm using vtkGdcmReader. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

I hope this is the right forum for this question. But I know this mailing
list has a lot of expertise and a large responsive community...so I thought
I'd post here.

Thanks in advance,
--
Michael