[vtkusers] Visualize points, alternative to vtkVertex?

Affolter Martin martin.affolter at ntb.ch
Tue Oct 6 03:43:43 EDT 2009

Dear VTKUsers

To visualize points in a 2D or 3D model I use the class vtkVertex. The vertex appears as a constant sized square, no matter how close to or far from the camera it is located.

The only thing I'd like to change about it, is the shape of the vertex. For example, I want the vertex to appear as a unfilled square or a triangle. Unfortunately the vtkVertex class does not provide such functionality. What would be a good way to achieve that? Please keep in mind, that the result should appear in constant size (always 5x5 pixels on the screen).

I've read about using glyphs and scaling them using transformed display-coordinates. I thought it to be rather complicated, but if it is the only solution, I will probably go that way. Any alternatives?

I'm using VTK 4.4.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Martin